Next TEM doctoral school
The TEM doctoral school MSE-637 is held two times per year, once in the autumn semester (MSE-637a) and once in the spring semester (MSE-637b).
The next running of the course will be MSE-637b in the Spring 2019 semester from: 8–10 April 2019.
To register for the course please contact your doctoral program.
Tuesday: 08h15-12h00 in DIA 003; 13h15-17h00 demos in CIME
Wednesday: 08h15-12h00 in DIA 003
Please register for the course MSE-637b through your Doctoral Program.
Exam date: TBA
Exam place: TBA
Exam format: written
1) To understand the basics of the transmission electron microscope and its imaging capabilities.
2) To understand electron diffraction.
3) To understand TEM image contrast, in particular for bright-field and dark-field imaging modes.
4) To understand the basics of image contrast in high-resolution TEM.
5) To assess TEM specimen preparation techniques for different materials (i.e. non-biological) samples.
6) To understand various application examples relevant to materials science, physics and chemistry.
This intensive course is intended for researchers who are potential new users of transmission electron microscopes for study of materials (i.e. all non-biological) samples. It will provide them with a basic understanding of the instruments, sample requirements, optics of TEM, electron diffraction, the imaging modes, high-resolution TEM, and related theories of image formation.
Demonstrations will be given on the microscopes.
Basic knowledge of crystallography and diffraction is advised.
Program and lecture notes
Please download lecture notes before the lectures.
No printed material will be distributed
- MSE-637b Transmission electron microscopy and diffraction schedule spring 2019
- Chapter 1 Introduction to TEM.pdf
- Chapter 2 TEM components and operation.pdf
- Chapter 3 TEM imaging modes.pdf
- Chapter 4 TEM Crystallography and Diffraction 2019
- Chapter 5 TEM sample preparation.pdf
- Chapter 6 High Resolution TEM.pdf
- Chapter 7 Structure Factors and Crystal Stacking 2019
- Chapter 8 Diffraction pattern analysis 2019
- Chapter 9 Dynamical Scattering 2019
- Chapter 10 Contrasts in TEM Imaging
- Chapter 11 CBED and NBED mapping 2019
- TEM Diffraction Exercises.pdf